Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing ANSI Char (2000)

I need to break down some data in an excel workbook. Multiple Data has been entered into one cell using the "Alt" + "Return" keys to separate the data.
    Is this the ANSI Bel character? How is it best to separate this data. Is there some combination of a "Clean" or "Substitute" formula with a "text to columns" set-up. Is there a quick fix?

Many thanks
    Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing ANSI Char (2000)

Thanks - I have now solved this
    Alt + Return is ANSI Character 10 (Found in a previous post) - I can never remember all these ! - Is there a list of these somewhere in Excel help !?

Therefore I can enter a formula
    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"]")

Then I can use Excel's text to columns feature to separate, using the "]" symbol

Thanks
    Rob

Thanks

Hi Rob,
    You could also go straight to the Text to Columns feature, click in the Other text box and enter Alt+0010 (on the number pad).
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

It's ASCII actually, not ANSI (that's a standard's organization) and from Excel's Help, just enter "ASCII" and there are several references. One of them points to this on Microsoft's site http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...1331361033.aspx

The order of the ASCII char set determines how sorting is done too (is "a" > "A" sort of answers, or is "1" > ":" sort of things). It's been around since the 1960's (and there are other character set tables like EBCIDIC from IBM but this one is the dominant one).

Deb

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that any of those tables are going to help with what the original poster was asking. If you look at those tables, you would be loking for "|" (that is the closest to what displays in the cell if you don't allow the text to wrap), and from the table that would be character 124 not 10.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing ASCI Char (2000)

Thanks for all your help.

I have now realised that if you use the ' =code() ' formula in excel you can find out exactly which non-printing ASCI character you are dealing with. Legare's tip of entering alt + ASCI code straight into the Text to Columns feature does exactly as I need.

However, Jujaraf's link to the ASCI tables has still been useful though (especially the table of non-printing characters). For example the tables help you to identify that ASCI 10 is the 'carriage return'. It helps to explain which characters I'm dealing with and to understand the reason they are there in the first place.

Thanks again

Robert