3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WAKE ON LAN (Windows XP Home SP2)

Hi,

I'm trying to get my new WinXP Home PC to WAKE ON LAN. I have numerous computers on the small home network. Some of them are Win2000 Pro and others are WinXP Home.

I can get all the Win2000 Pro machines to shut down and start up with my WAKE ON LAN software. I can make this work from either an XP or 2000 computer.

However, I can't get the XP comptuers to shut down or turn on using the WAKE ON LAN software. I've tried activating this from both the 2000 computers and the XP computers without success.

So, activating a startup or shut down from a remote 2000 or XP computer will activate the result on the 2000 boxes but not on the XP boxes.

Does anyone have an idea of what I might not be setting up correctly in XP. I have WAKE ON LAN enabled in the Bios. The XP computers are newer then the 2000 computers, but all are new within the last 5 or 6 years.

Thanks for your help,
    BH Davis

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: WAKE ON LAN (Windows XP Home SP2)

Perhaps a couple of the links at "wake on lan" xp - Google Search will help.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for the response. I already have read some of those pages but will take a look at some of the others as well. I knew NOTHING about "wake on LAN" before I started with an Intel website and Google searches yesterday, so am a bit amazed I've gotten this far!

BH Davis

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Good luck!!! If you need to post back please be specific about your configuration - router, ip addressing, DHCP, etc. Also, please tell us what you've tried and what the exact results were.

Joe
    Joe