5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Totals don't match (2003)

This question was posed to me, and I am not sure why the totals don't match.

Regarding the attached workbook: worksheet "Due 12 31 05," cell E10's formula uses the sum function. Worksheet "Due 12 31 05 (2)," cell E10's formula uses the =D10 formula.

Using the Sum function for column E, cells 2 thru 30, the worksheets arrive at different totals. Why am I not arriving at the correct sum?

Thanks

Re: Totals don't match (2003)

On your second sheet, the total formula in E30 does not refer to cell E10, hence the difference.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh good grief! Talk about blind. ... sigh.
    Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahhh ha.. I went back to the user to show him our mutual stupidity. He sighed deeply and told me I don't understand his question. So, here it is:

The method he used to total each of the worksheets is to select the entire range, including an extra blank row and then click the autosum button. Using this metehod, the worksheet with the cell reference of =D10 (in cell E10) does not pick up/include cell E10 in the formula range. If you select the range first and then click the auto sum button, it works fine. If you don't select a range at all and click in cell E29 and then click the autosum button, it does not include E10.

My brilliant answer was, "don't do it that way." He didn't lilke that answer. He wants to know why the two methods don't provide the same results.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel tries to be smart. It sees that E10 contains a different type of formula than the other cells in column E, and therefore decides to omit it in the AutoSum formula.
    If you put =SUM(D10) in E10, the formula resembles that of the other cells, so AutoSum will include it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok.Thanks.