Lounger
    Thanks

deleting Normal.dot? (Word 2003 SP2)

After discovering that my default template (Normal.dot) got a bulleting style modficiation that I thought was saved in a document, I tried Woody's advice in the QUE book about re-naming the "bad" Normal.dot, to let a new one be made to copy from.

But the messed up bullet style remains.

Does WOPR somehow save a copy of Normal.dot somewhere that prevents a truly fresh one from being crreated?

(I am a new Word user.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: deleting Normal.dot? (Word 2003 SP2)

WOPR is not the problem here.

Bullets and numbering is an enormously complex beast and some attributes come from sources outside of documents and templates. You will need to reset the relevant list gallery via the Bullets and Numbering dialog but you should read up on the topic before you do.

A good place to start learning how to control bullets is Shauna Kelly's website but there are also plenty of useful tips and other references on this forum too.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

That is quite a different story than in the Word books, where it all looks so simple.

Following a link on her site I found that Microsoft Word MVPs PDF file by John McGhie where the advice to hit "Reset" in Format>Bullets and Numbering, which seems a less drastic solution than deleting Normal.dot.

(It is still spooky that even deleting Normal.dot doesn't seem to give a clean slate, though.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> (It is still spooky that even deleting Normal.dot doesn't seem to give a clean slate, though.)

That's because not all Word settings are stored in Normal.dot. Application-wide settings are stored in the Windows Registry. And items such as unformatted AutoCorrect entries and custom dictionary entries are stored in separate files.