Thread: backup

dtrl

backup

Why can't I ever get Backup to perform a full backup without the infamous "illegal operation & will close" message.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: backup

Well, that's a pretty open-ended question. Not sure what backup program you're using.

If it's MS backup, this is a watered down version of Veritas Backup Exec-Desktop Edition. Delete any catalogs (but I can't rememeber where they're kept). The next time you do a full backup, shut EVERYTHING down except Explorer & Systray before starting the backup. That means you Ctrl Alt Del & end task on everything listed, 1 at a time (except Explorer & Systray). Pause your task scheduler & turn OFF any power managemnet schemes & screen savers (right click desktop/properties/screen saver & settings). Then start the backup & don't even think of using the computer until it's done.

Hope this helps.

dtrl

Thanks Phil for your help. Yes, it was MS backup. I'll certainly try your suggestions. After 5 years trying I'm now full of hope.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You're welcome. Two other things. As long as you're doing a full backup, mind as well to a scandisk & defrag first. There are a couple of files that shouldn't be backed up. That's because they are active & during the verify mode won't match. With the old versions, the Backup would stop right there. A notorious one was index.dat (from Internet Explorer).

Oh, your catalogs may be found somewhere like this:
    crogram filesseagatebackup execsystemcatalogsprimary. Delete the contents of