2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to empty list / search (Internet Explorer)

Hello, When I search for something on Google (whether I do it in the search bar on the site or in the little search box on the Google toolbar) it creates a list of what I have searched and later I can chose from that list. How can I delete that list?? It doesn't seem to work by deleting cookies, files, history etc. Can someone please help me? Thank you very much, Tira

Thanks

Re: How to empty list / search (Internet Explorer)

I think this is the AutoComplete 'feature' - see <post:=385,526>post 385,526</post:> and replies.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Correct. That should be the "AutoComplete for Forms" function. You can clear ALL forms by going to Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete - "Clear Forms". You can turn it OFF for ALL forms by unchecking the "Forms" box there.

You can also remove single entries by using the down arrow on your keyboard, highlighting the desired entry and pressing the Delete key. To do that for ALL entries would be a little, eh, time consuming.

There used to be a cool FREE program called "Auto What?" that allowed you to delete specific AutoComplete entries. It still exists, but it is not free anymore since it was from PCMag:
    url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,90317,00.asp
    Single Download. Purchase this file for $5.97.

Here is another program that LOOKS like it would work also:
    url=http://www.acesoft.net/autocomplete/autocomplete.htm
    I cannot recommend it, I just found it on Google.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Leif and R2, thanks for your answers. Clearing the "forms" option in Internet Options seems to be clearing the main search field on the google site, however, it does not clear the search box on the google toolbar. I also tried to delete the entries individually as you told me but that didn't work. When I selected an entry - hit the delete key it actually duplicated that particular entry. So I guess I'll have to either leave it or get one of the suggested software. Thanks again though for your feedback. Tira

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Go to the GoogleBar Options, select the Search tab, and then clear the check marks at "Drop-Down Search History" and "Save the search history....". Then Apply and OK.

If want it to work later, you must add these checks back in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. The "Delete" key duplicates entries? Certainly not "standard" Windows behaior!

I don't have the Google Toolbar but I am somewhat surprised that they are not using the same source list as the IE forms box to populate their list. They must store the data in a different spot in the registry.

The IE Forms data is stored in the "Protected Storage" section of the registry and is usually 'encrypted' so it is difficult to simply "Find" the entries. The Google toolbar list might be easier to locate in the registry. If I run into a computer with one I'll peak in the registry.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave, that was it and works perfectly. Tira