Thread: Securing XP

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Securing XP

Here's a Microsoft Technet page discussing Applying the Principle of Least Privilege to User Accounts on Windows XP. It is a good read.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Re: Securing XP

Joe,
    Quite interesting. It IS a good one. Thanks.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

I'm the sole user of my PC and I've resisted the idea of setting myself up as a limited user because, for me (and I assume for many, if not most, similarly-situated users), the complications and potential headaches involved in moving to a multiple-user configuration outweigh the limited-user security advantages.

Imagine if Microsoft had designed XP so that the same user could opt to log in in either administrator mode or limited mode. I'm guessing there'd be a lot more XP computers running a lot more securely right now. Would that approach be too easy? Is that its fatal flaw?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Your reasoning is probably why Windows Vista, whenever it sees the light of day, will default to a limited user account and allow you to run certain things in the context of an administrative-level account - something *nix systems have supported for years. Check out the heading "Running as least privileged user" in this write-up by Paul Thurrott. It's about halfway down the page.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Imagine if Microsoft had designed XP so that the same user could opt to log in in either administrator mode or limited mode. I'm guessing there'd be a lot more XP computers running a lot more securely right now. Would that approach be too easy? Is that its fatal flaw<hr>

Well, if you use RunAs and MakeMeAdmin (as mentioned in the article), you pretty much get the same thing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm also the sole user of my PC, but I was suitably spooked by the idea of security threats that I do all my normal sorts of computer use and surfing as a Limited User. The idea being that IF anything got through my defenses, it would have limited ability to do damage. It hasn't really been too much of a problem, except that you do have to be Admin in order to install programs for instance.

I'm coping, but the LUA idea isn't ready for prime time in XP. I'm hoping (assuming??) that with the advanced notice that Vista will be Limited User by default, more vendors will make it so that "ordinary" users will be able to figure it all out and get things to work. I'll have to admit, as much as I've been trying it out for myself, I haven't tried to tell my *mother* how.

Callie
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke