Lounger
    Thanks

Access for local and remote users (2002/SP3)

We are trying to setup an Access 2002 database so local and remote users can both get to it at the same time. We have Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services.

I've read some other posts about terminal services but haven't been able to get it to work. I put the backend.mdb on a shared folder of a file server and I have tried putting the front end and backend in different places without success.

Based on what I've read, right now I have a copy of the frontend.mdb on the terminal server but the users get a message saying

"Microsoft Office Access couldn't find file 'Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftAccessSystemx.mdw'. The file is required for startup."

Can someone tell me if I've got the front end and back end in the right place?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access for local and remote users (2002/SP3)

One thing we have noticed is administrative users can open and run the database through terminal services but other users are getting the "...couldn't find file ...mdw..." message.

It appears to be a permissions issue but I'm not sure. Also, when they try to open the front end it is creating new system.mdw files under

servernameC$Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftAccess

and incrementing the name. So the first time they try to run the db it creates system1.mdw, second time system2.mdw. And these are the files mentioned in the message saying it can't find.

Help! Thanks,

Kevin

Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URLs clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

OK, with some help we got it going although I'm not exactly sure what made it work. We made several changes and then suspected the user profile. We deleted the profile, logged back in to recreate it and then it worked.

Here is information that helped

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?p=2...ear#post2620529

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/terminalserver.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266769/

I think maybe the kb article is what made it work. I put a system.mdw file in the same location as the front end and put /Wrkgrp in the shortcut pointing to that location. I also made the change in the registry mentioned in the kb article.

Any comments are still welcome.

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We run Access applications on several client servers using Terminal Services and haven't had any difficulties with this issue, though we are running with Admin priviledges. One thing we routinely do is to create a front-end and a security file in the working directory of the user. We nearly always want the front-end to be single-user. It eats up more disk space, but corruption issues usually occur in the front-end and it also makes it much easier to deploy changes. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Oops! Another user is now getting the "...couldn't find file ...mdw..." message. We deleted their profile from both the terminal services server and local machine and they still can't run it.

Wendell - If you don't mind, could you be more specific about how you set things up to run with Admin priviledges?

Also, we should only have to do what is mentioned in this kb article once and only on the terminal services server shouldn't we?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266769/

Thanks,

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I doubt you will want to set things up the way we do, as we are actually assigned to the Domain Admins group. (That's because we are actually administering the servers remotely.) I don't really think users normally have to have Admin priviledges to do what you want to do, if you put the security file in the same folder as the front-end. Also, you will probably want to have a short-cut on the user's desktop so they start the database using the correct security file. Otherwise they may still be trying to start it with the default system.mdw file. As to deleting the profile from the local machine, that should have no affect what so ever. I presume you user is getting to Terminal Services using the Remote Desktop Connection utility. Also, I presume you are using an Access back-end, although that shouldn't have a bearing on your problem. I think the most important thing is to put the Access front-end in the same folder - a folder unique to each user, and then use a shortcut that specifies the workgroup location. Let us know how you get on.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell. You are correct, the users are using a shortcut to a Remote Desktop Connection to get to terminal services. The back end is in Access. We may have narrowed the problem down to a problem with profiles.

For example, when logged into the terminal services server as the user we got working I can go in Windows Explorer and see the following folder

Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication Data

Logged in as the user who cannot use the db, I cannot see Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication Data Not on the TS server or the local machine.

We copied the profile of the first user and the second user was able to use this new profile to access TS and run the database. I'll try to report back after we test this some more.

Thanks again,

Kevin