jfmika

Date comes out as formula!! (Office 2000)

Folks,
    My wife was given a spreadsheet at work which has a strange property. Just about any entries in a couple of empty columns results in them being turned into formulas. Eg. I'd enter 3/3/2001 in a date formatted column and I'd get back Jan 4, 1904 in(or somesuch). Examination of the entry shows that somehow an "=" has been put in front and it's obviously done the division and effectively come up with 0. The same thing happens with other stuff (eg entering 3-4 returns -1, and not 3-April (in Australia) as I'd expect). However, if I create a brand new workbook, things work as expected - ie. 3/3/2001 becomes "March 3, 2001".

So how does this "automatic turning into formulas" work? I've looked all through the menus etc but can't find any settings to control this behaviour. Needless to say, it's driving her (and me) nuts!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date comes out as formula!! (Office 2000)

One thing I found it works is in the Tools/Options in the Transition to turn off the Transition Formula Entry.

I am working with Excel 97 though, so these Options in Excel 2000 might be in a slightly different location.

Regards,
    K.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would guess that the "Transition Formula Evaluation" and "Transition Formula Entry" are turned on the options for that workbook. I would also guess that the 1904 date system option is also turned on. It looks like this workbook is converted from Louts 123.
    Legare Coleman

jfmika

Thanks to those folks who suggested the "Transition Formula..." stuff in Options - it seems to have done the trick! (Now I don't feel too bad about not finding it myself, as it's not exactly obvious.....)