Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Dropped Wireless Internet

I recently installed a wireless home network with a ZyXel router. Everything works pretty well, but when my laptop (a new Toshiba) goes into a sleep mode the Internet connection is dropped -- even though everything looks connected. To fix it I have to go to:

Network Connection > Wireless Network Connection > Repair

The "repair" breaks what it thinks is a connection and gets a new IP address, DNS, etc., and I'm back on the net.

Any way in Windows XP to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

PS I tried putting in a static IP in the laptop but that keeps me totally off the net.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dropped Wireless Internet

Can you configure the router to always give the laptop the same IP address? I have done that on my Linksys router to fix the IP address of a network printer, you register the MAC address of the network card (which the router can tell you) and tell it to always give it the same IP address. If you don't know how to do this then tell us what model of ZyXel router you have and we can look for a user guide.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

My router is a ZyXEL P-334WT.

I think it does give the same IP address which I hard wrote into TCP/IP but when I did that I could never get on the net. This router is not very user friendly but I did get it to see my desktop & lap top. It always comes back when I repair the wireless connection.

Not sure what you mean by "you register the MAC address of the network card (which the router can tell you) and tell it to always give it the same IP address".

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I believe that "Networks and Hibernation (Sleep mode) do NOT mix. I have dealt with to many machines running the Hibernation and are having troubles. My fix has been turn off the hibernation and problems go away.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I mis-spoke (or mis-typed) -- the internet dropping occurs while I'm using the computer -- say in Word -- and not during "sleep mode".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should never configure a computer to use an address that a DHCP server is supposed to give out. This can cause nasty conflicts.

The user giude for the ZyXEL P334-WT can be found <A target="_blank" HREF=ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-334WT/document/P-334WT_v3-60_UsersGuide.pdf>here</A>. Figure 64 shows the screen for configuring a Static DHCP address. You put the MAC address in separated by Colons. This MAC Address can be found on your PC by typing IPCONFIG / ALL in to a command prompt, it is shown as "Physical Address" with hyphens where your router expects to see Colons.

Since you lose the network during normal running there must be a fault somewhere in your configuration. It might be that the router is forgetting that it issued the address. How frequently does this happen? Do you only have one PC in your configuration or are there other PCs connected to this router? Do you have a wireless network, or is everything connected by cables?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart:

Thank you so much for your help in this. As to your questions:

Q: It might be that the router is forgetting that it issued the address. How frequently does this happen?

A: It happens frequently -- when I'm not using the broswer (Firefox) and work with Word or another program. I go back to the browser and it's offline. As I said a repair command to the wireless connection always fixes it. I've never been disconnected while using the browser.

Q: Do you only have one PC in your configuration or are there other PCs connected to this router?

A: I have two computers using this router. I have a Dell mini tower that I use as my "main" computer that is connected to the router by cable. The other PC is a Toshiba laptop with a wireless connection and it's the Toshiba that drops the Internet connection, the Dell always stays online. My Internet conection is through a cable modem. The IPS is Charter.

Q: Do you have a wireless network, or is everything connected by cables?

A: As I said, the Dell is connected by cable to the router. The Toshiba laptop has a wireless connection.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> A: It happens frequently -- when I'm not using the broswer (Firefox)

I wonder if you have enabled power saving on your NIC card, that would cause the symptoms you describe.

Try looking for the properties of your network card in Device Manager, look at the Power Management tab and see if you have enabled the check box.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked the Device Manager -- would the NIC card you're talking about be under the Network adapters? If so, there is no Power Managment tab under properties. I have an Atheros AR 5005G Wireless Network Adapter.

Would it be some other place?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Every laptop network card that I have come across has this tab, and most desktop ones too!

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart:

On my desktop there is a PM tab -- on the Toshiba laptop for the Atheros there isn't. However -- under the Advanced tab there is a selection for Power Save Mode so I turned that off.

Computers can drive you crazy...

Thanks

My regular adaptors have this tab Stuart, but the wireless adaptor in my laptop does not (see screen shot). It may be that the power settings are controlled from the power management applet of the laptop itself.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Just to add my 2p's worth, the built-in adapter on my Sony laptop has Power Management, but the Netgear PCMCIA wireless adapter doesn't.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What I'd love to know is whether these assorted cards have power management, with the user interface hidden somewhere else, or is the functionality missing?

StuartR

Thanks

Maybe not directly applicable in this scenario, but these two links may yield some clues:
    MSKB 275042
    Winguides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast