figgy

defragger freezing

help.....I am using Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A. AMD Processor,with 64 megs RAM.Every time i click on defrag,it comes up on the screen then freezes.i cant even get cont.alt del to work then either.it used to work ok

Thanks

Re: defragger freezing

There are various things that may cause this - the most likely being a corrupt file.
    Re-boot to the MS-DOS prompt.
    Type:
    scandisk c: (if Drive C otherwise scandisk d: etc)
    After checking the files, let it do a surface scan.

How much free space do you ahve on the drive? I don't think it will cause a freeze, but defraggers usually need about 25% free disk space I think.

Otherwise, check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q218/1/60.ASP>Q218160</A> for other possible causes.

Let us know if this helps.

figgy

Thanks for your help Leif-i went to the Microsoft site to Q218160.it said to delete Applog folder from C:Windows then run disk cleanup tool,then run scan disk,then defrag.Well i did all that,and defrag actually came on and did its job!!! So heres hoping it continues to work ok.By the way-just what is the Applog folder?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Applog folder is a set of files that keeps track of the different app usage. This file is used to determine which app is been used the most. Then Speed disk and Defrag use it to determine where to put what file where on the hard drive.
    One SHOULD rboout the machine after deleting this folder so a new clean one can be made, berfor running Derag or speed disk.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

figgy

Oops--i dont think it said to reboot before using scan disk etc.I rebooted after!! Will this have caused any damage? Just when i thought everything was going so well.........

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It should not, it (defrag) just will not have any files the set the sort.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.