2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Calculation speed (2000 SR2)

Hi,

I have a large spreadsheet (28Mb) which takes around 45 seconds to recalculate. I've pruned it as much as I can but it's still far to slow so I'm going to have to throw some hardware at it.

Is it worth going for the new dual core intel chips or should I just get the fastest single core one I can afford?

Thanks,
    Jim MacLeod
    Shetland Isles

Thanks

Re: Calculation speed (2000 SR2)

I won't answer the hardware question since I have no expertise in the area, but I will suggest something concering software question.

I have no idea what you have in the workbook that is so calculation intensive (I suspect array formulas, or a large number of IFs), but it seems to me a reevaluation of the workbook and the calcs should be examined to eliminate or modify the formulas to be more efficient.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Steve's reply, see Excel Pages - Optimising Speed for some tips and suggestions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I've done as much formula modification as I can & got the recalc speed down from around 3 minutes to 45 sec. Splitting the spreadsheet is not an option, hardware is the best option left for me.

Thanks,
    Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I am not a hardware expert. I don't know if Excel will benefit from a dual-core processor or not.

Thanks

There are other alternatives other than formula modification. If the problem is many array formulas, then you may benefit from using a macro and have it calculate based on some event. Multiple arrays are very inefficient since they each may do hundreds, even thousands of calculations, and they repeat calculations that other formulas do. Each change in some parts of the workbook could require millions of calculations to be performed.

Also pivot table options can be changed to modify the recalc time if that is an issue.

Steve