Thread: Sync to 2 apps

Shabazz

Sync to 2 apps

Does anyone sync to two different apps? We use Groupwise at work. I, unfortunately, use Outlook 97 at home.

Besides the fact that Outlook forces my phone data into (XXX) YYY-ZZZZ format (I prefer XXX-YYY-ZZZZ), I seem to end up with lots of duplicates and other problems after syncing next with Groupwise at work.

I'm thinking of pitching Palm and both computers and carrying an Etch-a-Sketch...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sync to 2 apps

Even just syncing with Outlook 2000 at home, I found that a change on the Palm would cause Outlook to pass the old version back to the Palm as a duplicate. I finally gave up and set it up so that the handheld has the ultimate control. Basically, I sync my addressbook from it to Outlook. I use Desktop-to-Go as my sync software, and it offers a great deal of control. The software that came with the Palm drove me nuts!
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is more to synching than pick the right synching tool. There are some basic mathematical/logical principal to be followed, too.

Think of your machines as remotes and hosts. You are using three machines: office desktop (host), home desktop (host) and palm (remote). This violates a synching rule. You should only have one host, although you can have multiple remotes. Unless you can figure out a way to make your palm the host, you will ineviably violate the rule by using two hosts.

One solution that I have found is to keep my office machine which synchs a legal case managment program called TimeMatters as the host, making my Palm one of the remotes, and synching my palm at home with "handheld overwrites desktop" avoids the datta curruption inherent with multiple hosts.

Shabazz

Post deleted by cbaldrey