4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop folder views are persistently reset (SP1)

I keep a Windows Explorer window open in one corner of my screen which contains icons for the programs I use most frequently, and subfolders for additional programs that I use less frequently, but like to keep handy.

The window's "parent" folder is set to list view, which is what I want. I have tried to set the subfolders to list view as well, but I can't make the view "stick." The subfolders keep reverting to detail view, which is apparently some kind of default.

For example: if I open one of the folders and select "View/List," the folder is changed to list view. If I return to the "parent" folder, then reselect the folder whose view I set, list view is still set. But... if I reopen that folder periodically, sooner or later I will find that it has reverted to detail view.

After my own attempts to correct this problem led nowhere, I asked about it in one of Microsoft's USENET forums. A Microsoft MVP gave me an answer that was quite muddled and unclear, but that seemed to involve blowing away a registry key that contains all of the folder view settings for the Desktop and the file system, and rebuilding them by hand. He said the problem was analogous to cross-linked files (I did understand that), and this was the only way to fix it.

Is that true? The cure seems much worse than the disease. Is there an alternative?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop folder views are persistently reset (SP1)

Try <!profile=WyllyWylly>WyllyWylly<!/profile>'s Star Post <!post=Making Folder Views Stick (Pro/Home),252256>Making Folder Views Stick (Pro/Home)<!/post>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop folder views are persistently reset (S

Is does indeed appear to work, and I thank you. It puzzles me, though: I not only don't understand how it works, I don't understand how it CAN work. It seems exactly backwards, like taking a picture by turning the lights off, snapping the shutter, then turning the lights back on. Can you give me any insight into what is happening?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a technique that is useful in other situations too. If an application seems to ignore a setting, turning that setting off, then on again reminds the application of its existence. Moreover, it may force the application to start with a clean table, so to speak, without the stale crumbs of previous use.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That makes sense. What baffles me is the sequence: turn off "remember," then make a change, then turn "remember" back on. It seems like it should mean the opposite: "yes, continue to remember changes, but do NOT remember this one."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I won't try to pretend that I understand the details...