2 Star Lounger
    Quakers Hill, NSW, Australia

USB Drive Removal

Can a USB Drive be physically damaged be removing it without going through the "Safely Eject Hardware" proceedure?
    I recently attempted to acquire a file but the backup malfunctioned somehow, so we pull USB drive out (there was no obvious data transfer in progress at the time) & when we attempted a 2nd time by inserting drive, the PC acknowledged "found new HW" but from then on we received a message "HW has malfunctioned, try inserting item again".
    So have tried this USB drive in 4 PC's, but am still receiving the same message - so I figure it must be stuffed!!
    Is this situation applicable to CF, SD etc cards as well?
    Maybe I'd better take time to use eject proceedure in future!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Re: USB Drive Removal

You might want to give John Gray's <!post=StarPost,514,681>StarPost<!/post> on this topic a look. There are other posts in that thread that you could read as well. I don't know if the drive can be re-formatted in your case. The only thing I have is a SmartDisk USB reader which stays connected all the time. I do insert and remove a camera memory stick all the time without problems. A bit different than a true hard drive however.