Star Lounger
    Thanks

ICS - DNS issue (Home SP2)

I have a desktop and laptop connected by a D-Link wireless router.

The desktop has a 56k modem and Internet Connection Sharing enabled. The laptop connects wirelessly. File and printer sharing are working properly but internet connection is not.
    If I ping kent.net or try to connect with the browser then the connection fails. If I ping or connect to 216.8.159.69 then it works.
    It seems that the laptop is unable to find a DNS server. I have set the alternate configuration of the wireless connection to look for the DNS server at 192.168.0.1 which is what ICS sets up on. I'm lost now.
    Any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ICS - DNS issue (Home SP2)

To solve your problem, create a Network Bridge (How to create a Network bridge).
    Follow the steps in the article Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing to establish the connection.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure that I understand what you're suggesting. Should I try to bridge the dial-up and ethernet connections on the desktop or the ethernet and wireless connections on the laptop. (The ethernet connection on the laptop isn't hooked up to anything)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I wasn't clear. On your desktop, which is your Internet Connection Sharing Server, create a bridge between Dial-up and Wireless Network connections.

I presume you already properly configured your desktop (as described there) and laptop (as described there) connections, and you still have problems with Internet sharing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bridging a dial-up and lan connection is not an option on the desktop computer (now any other that I've looked at). I should reiterate the laptop computer can access the internet. It can ping and browse to web sites if given the numeric address. It does not seem to be able to perform any tasks which require DNS lookup.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have a look to see if there are any errors in the Event Log.

Use the Services applet (Start > Run > Services.msc) to check the status of the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" service, and look for any other likely looking services that aren't running.

StuartR