Thread: am I infected??

New Lounger
    Thanks

am I infected??

I'm sure you've answered this before and I just can't find it. My computer is sending out emails that I am not originating. I have run a full Norton scan, Spybot, and also TrendMicros' housecall and have found nothing. Of course several of these are coming back as undeliverable. I do know they are being sent because out of nowhere Norton pops up with its window showing that emails are being sent. Also nothing is showing up in my "sent" folder in Outlook. Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks

Re: am I infected??

Two things:
    #1 - Outlook could be sending Delivered or Read Receipts which will not show up in your Sent Items.
    #2 - Carry out an immediate Virus Scan and Hijack scan - see Starposts <post#=296,439>post 296,439</post#> and <post#=385,669>post 385,669</post#>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I don't think it is #1. I have my options set to ask me before it sends a receipt, plus it sends out email when I have not opened anything. I will try the scans. I am really confused how I could have been "taken". I have always tried to keep completely up to date on all my programs and scans. Thanks again. Will let you know.

Thanks

There is no easy answer as to how - you can become infected by (accidentally) visiting the wrong website, or simply viewing an incoming message in Outlook's preview pane. Anti-virus software is only as good as the definitions it has, so do make sure you keep updated as frequently as you can - several times a week is not too often.

Let us know how you get on. It is not unknown for a virus to disable AV software, and it may be worth running Taskmanager to check on what dubious processes are running before you start.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just an update -- I did everything up to Hijack this and thought my problem was solved. Yesterday when I opened an "item" in Ebay it sent a message. To my knowledge the sellers there cannot receive an email showing when someone opens their product window. I guess I go ahead and run the Hijack this. I was hoping to avoid that step. Thanks for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure the emails originate from your computer? Some viruses create mail messages that seem to come from locations other than their true source. This might be because
    (a) the computer of someone you know is infected and the virus has picked up your email address from their machine).
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the virus (or it's writer) have picked up your email address from a web page somewhere
    I can remember a spate of emails we had last year telling us that our systems were infected, when in fact the culprit was a third party with lots of our email addresses in their address book.

Things to check include:
    <UL><LI>Are any of the offending messages in your "sent items" folder? If so, it's definitely your problem.
    <LI>Are any of the offending messages sent at a time when your computer was definitely not connected to the internet? If so, you can be fairly certain that you're not infected.[/list]Hope this helps,
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. The way I know I am sending out the mail is my Norton scan pops up showing it is scanning an outgoing message. Nothing is showing up in my sent items folder. These pop up when I am not even in my Outlook program so it is not an automatic response to opening an email. Plus I have my options set so it asks my permission before it sends a receipt. I'll let you know what the hijack program finds. I kept hoping it was just my imagination.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

It appears that your are infected by mywebsearch. See remove mywebsearch - Google Search for links on how to remove it.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I wasn't sure if I should post my hijack this log here or at that website. Here it is if you can help. If not I will post it elsewhere. THANK YOU.

HijackThis log moved to attachment by HansV - it is very long (over 9,000 characters)