Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Crashes (2003/SP2)

I have about 10 Microsoft Access database files that work perfectly in both Access 2000 and Access 2003. I have 1 database file that works perfectly in Access 2000 and partially in Access 2003. In Access 2003 it works fine while in the Access program itself until I close down the file and then Access crashes wanting to send Microsoft an error message. I have tried converting and repairing the file, all to no avail. Access crashes every time I close out of the file. Any ideas on how to correct this problem? I should also say that on another machine this same file works perfectly in Access 2003 so I did run a repair on Office 2003 but that didn't help either.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crashes (2003/SP2)

I'm afraid this kind of problem is almost impossible to assist with from a distance. In the end, you may have to reinstall the problem PC from scratch.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

When you say "reinstall the problem PC from scratch" do you mean reinstall Office 2003 or are you talking about a complete format of the hard drive and starting over?

I probably should also have said that this is the only machine where when Office 2003 was installed I chose the option to keep Office 2000 available if needed.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

First uninstall Office 2003, then reinstall it. If that doesn't help, format the hard disk and reinstall Windows, then Office.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks, I was afraid you meant that. I think I'll have to live with the inconvenience before I'd wipe out the hard drive and start all over. It just seems strange that only one file is affected. I may try recreating that one file if I ever get the spare time to do so.

One other thing about this file, it is the only database file that doesn't ask for permission to open macros when opening the file. I have the macro security set to "medium" so it is supposed to ask as it does with every other database file. Again, on other machines it works fine and it also does ask for that permission to open the macros.

Again, thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since it is only on one PC, the problem seems to be with that PC. But of course, not being able to investigate either PC or database, I cannot be absolutely certain about that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

It is fixed. Helen Feddema who writes Woody's Access Watch helped me greatly. It had something to do with a digital signature that went bad. We couldn't fix it by normal means so she had me create a new database file and import everything from the corrupt one. That solved the problem.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad it is solved, but I wonder why the problem surfaced on only one PC...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I don't know why only on the one machine. All I know is that it still works fine while the old version still crashes. I'm just glad there was a fix.

Thanks,
    H Lewton