3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is immediately merged document the active document (Office XP SR1)

If you merge a document, is the merged document the "active document" immediately after merge? I believe so --

Is there any way to specify that the document is the just-merged document (besides being the active document) so you can save it to a specific name?

I wanted to use the user's open instance of Word (getobject vs createobject) if it were open, and I worry about stumbling over other, possibly unsaved documents. I'm initiating the merge from the Access database that holds the datasource.

Sorry for something so simple, I have spent the past hour and a half searching help files and then this Lounge, so I did give it a good college try!

Pat

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is immediately merged document the active document (Office XP SR1)

Yes, the merged document becomes the active document immediately after a mail merge:

Dim wrdMainDoc As Word.Document
    Dim wrdMergedDoc As Word.Document
    With wrdMainDoc.MailMerge
    .Execute
    End With
    Set wrdMergedDoc = wrdApp.ActiveDocument

I have found this to be quite dependable.
    Alternatively, you could look for a document named Lettersn where n is an integer (if you merge to letters), but that is trickier - there could be other such documents open.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is immediately merged document the active document (Office XP SR1)

Thank you so much again, Hans !! I had done some testing, and I had come to that conclusion but still worried <g>. Can't trust myself, I guess.

You are correct about the uncertainty of the merged document temporary name. In this case, it would be "Directory1" which is even rarer, but you never know.

Pat