3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query (Access 2000)

I have a table that contains mutiple records for an individual. For any given individual there could be one or more records. The current record will not have a value in the ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE field. All previous records for an individual will have a date in that field. What I am looking for is a query that will exclude the null date value and return the next most recent record.

I created a query I thought would work, but it just churns away and does not retun the data. Here is the SQL for the query. It uses a subselect to find the Max(Period_of_Service_ID) for each Person_ID.

SELECT tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.PERSON_ID, tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.LEAVING_REASON, tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.PERIOD_OF_SERVICE_ID, tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE
    FROM tblPeriodOfService_Reasons
    WHERE (((tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.PERIOD_OF_SERVICE_ID ) = (SELECT MAX( Period_of_Service_ID) FROM tblPeriodOfService_Reasons A WHERE A.Person_ID = tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.Person_ID)));

Is there a different / better way to go about getting the record in question?

Thanks for any help
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query (Access 2000)

You state that you want to return the record with the most recent ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE for each individual. Shouldn't you have a criteria on that field, with a subquery

SELECT MAX(ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE) FROM tblPeriodOfService_Reasons A WHERE A.Person_ID = tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.Person_ID

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That should work as well as with the Period_Of_Service_ID. The MAX(Date) would also have the MAX(POS_ID).

I have replaced the subselect with the MAX(Date) version, but am getting the same results.

The query just sits and churns, but does not return any data.
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, you need two queries:

1) A totals query that returns the most recent date for each individual:

SELECT PERSON_ID, Max(ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE) AS MaxDate
    FROM tblPeriodOfService_Reasons
    GROUP BY PERSON_ID

Don't include other fields in this query! Save it as (for example) qryMaxDate.

2) A query based on the table and on the query you just saved, joined on PERSON_ID and on ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE vs MaxDate. Add * from the table to the query grid:

SELECT tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.*
    FROM qryMaxDate INNER JOIN tblPeriodOfService_Reasons ON (qryMaxDate.MaxDate = tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.ACTUAL_TERMINATION_DATE ) AND (qryMaxDate.PERSON_ID = tblPeriodOfService_Reasons.PERSON_ID);

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works MUCH better

Thanks
    Richard