Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailbox not closed properly (Outlook 2003 sp 2)

Sometimes (a couple of times in the last few days) when I open Outlook I get the message 'mailbox was not closed properly' and then it says it will check for problems. Then it opens and seems to work fine. I am sure that I closed Outlook. What could be happening here? I am not using .pst files.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailbox not closed properly (Outlook 2003 sp 2)

This is not a new message. It's been around since Outlook 97, I think. Generally, this happens when you start Outlook the first time after bootup. What happens, as far as I can tell from my research, is that Outlook was slow to close down the previous time. Windows was trying to shut down and "forcibly" closed Outlook. Outlook may not have gotten time to save all its files and shut down all its processes as gracefully as it would have liked.

Most of the time, there isn't a loss of data, but you never know what Outlook is doing in the background, since it seems to be closed already. Try giving it a little extra time before you shut down your PC. When you start closing your applications, start with Outlook. You may be able to see when its completely closed in the Task Manager Processes window, but I'm not absolutely sure on that.

If you're shutting down your PC and start getting the "end now" popups, you know that Windows hasn't finished closing all the applications and processes. Let it run its course, don't choose End Now, and see if that solves your problem. Unfortunately, the more Microsoft stuffs into its OS and applications, the longer it takes to shut down. Good luck.