Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

chkdsk substitute (XP - all)

Bottom line: following a reinstall, 2 of the partitions on an external HDD are no longer "recognisable" to Windows - which merrily volunteers to format each of them. All other partitions on the same HDD are correctly handled.

Is there such a thing as a 3rd party chkdsk substitute available? (Google has yet to yield something clearly identifiable.)

Until the reinstall, the FAT32 formatting and the (very substantial amount of) data on each partition was correctly recognised .

"chkdsk s: /f" runs long enough to recognise, in each case, FAT32 and then crashes - not resuming on a reboot. The symptoms are the same on more than one XP install and on more than one machine - whether I use the USB2 connection or the FireWire connection.

OTOH a 3rd party partition manager (Paragon) and an old version of Knoppix (3.3) - the Linux read-only distro - recognise the amount of data there; with Knoppix that includes the entire file structures.

If I went the route of acquiring a "proper" Linux distro, I think I still have enough redundancy to be able to migrate the "unrecognised" data off the partitions. That would, however, require a fair bit of time.

Any input/other ideas?
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: chkdsk substitute (XP - all)

The simple answer seems to be to recover the data using R-Studio - not free, but prepared to do the job.

Since there's about 150Gb involved, cost is a proportionate question. One of the "moral"s of the story - as in all backup situations - is to ensure sufficient redundancy!
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Check out: Winternals Software - Administrator's Pak. It is not cheap but these guys really know their stuff.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried Spinrite?
    http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe the suggested Spinrite is a good place to start. You may try and image the partitions (if you have Acronis TrueImage(it is linux based) and if TI can see them to begin with) then browse the image and restore the data only somewhere else. It will not fix the problem like Spinrite, but if you need the data now it may be a workaround.