New Lounger
    Thanks

Grand totals (2002 SP2)

Is there a function to add a "grand total" after each month's subtotal other than doing so manually? Specifically, is it possible to show the sum of January & February following February ; the sum of the first three months following March; and so on. It is possible to do manually by adding a row and creating a new subtotal function. A sample sheet is attached.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grand totals (2002 SP2)

I don't know of a standard formula or wizard for this. I have attached a version of your workbook with formulas in column H that display cumulative subtotals. You only need to enter the formula in H3, then you can fill down by double clicking the fill handle in the lower right corner of H3.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't download the answer file provided, so it might have this, but I use the SUBTOTAL(9, etc) function alot. It is the function inserted in the Data/Subtotals process. Subtotal 9 is an addition subtotal. When you use that instead of the SUM function, you can have as many subtotals in a column or row as you want. excle ignores them when it takes a total. So the grand total subtotal(9, etc would not pick up any interim total. I find that very helpful, but I have to remember to always specify the total range to be added, since Excel ignores anything SUBTOTAL(9, formula in that range. I also combine it with the OFFSET function in the SUBTOTAL range so that I don't have to leave a line at the end of my range. HTH