4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

forcing child records (2000)

Hello, I have problems with users starting a record in the parent part of the form but not entering anything in the child, these records mean nothing. I know there is a query wizard to find these redcords but is there a way I can code to display a user mesage to enforce the child records?

Thanks Darren

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: forcing child records (2000)

Can you provide more detailed information? Are you talking about a main form and subform, or about different fields in one form?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans, exected you to be psychic! Sub form, the main is activated and people are forgetting to complete a record for one reason or other. Once the subform is entered into then there are forced fields to prevwnt the problem, it's before the sub form is focused.

Thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A method I've used in such a situation is to disallow adding new records in the main form. I create a separate unbound form in which the user can enter the minimally required information for a parent record and a first child record. When the user clicks the OK command button, VBA code adds a record to the parent table and a related record in the child table, then opens the main form and jumps to the record that has just been added.