2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access ADO NativeError (2003)

Does there exists a comprehensive list of NativeError numbers for an ADO JET4.0 Access Provider? Most, if not all examples, of VBA coding for ADO to get to an Access database suppose either that everything runs smooth or if there is an error it just lists the error number and description. This is hardly a real world example. For instance, I want to provide the user with the opportunity to specify a correct database path if the connection fails due a wrong original path; (native error -534578963). To write a comprehensive real world error handler, I need some more NativeErrors, but somehow these codes are very hard to find.
    Or didn't I search thouroghly enough?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access ADO NativeError (2003)

You can download a self-extracting zipfile containing a list of decimal and hexadecimal ADO error codes from Microsoft: INFO: Underlying OLE and OLEDB Provider Errors Are Exposed Through ADO.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The referenced KB article doesn't tell whether the Oledberr.exe module applies to ADO 2.8. I guess it does.

But far worse is the fact that it didn't list the error I hit in my program (-534578963). I found what that meant through its Error.Description property. So, the list in the module is probably incomplete - or I must be missing something else. In the list there is not even a number close in size to the error value I got!

I'm left with an uneasy feeling that my program can blow up, where a correction or a user bypass could have been provided. (e.g. in the above particular case, the user could specify a correct path and filename).

Also, what guarantee do I have that the error number will not change in a future release?

I guess, I'll have to live with trial and error!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's not very likely that error numbers will change, but new error numbers will be added with new releases. That may be why you can't find "your" error number in the list.