3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Info/Author (Word 2003)

I have a question regarding Track changes and user information. Can someone explain the difference between the document properties summary author information, statistics last saved by, and the user information (under tools options). We are working on an explanation of track changes, the vp wants to save paper and have departments send documents and utilize track changes. I think that the user information defaults to the setup for Office install (it is a generic technology id that everyone has). If I am trying to get this straight, when someone uses track changes, all of the user information would have the same ID??? Right? So we need to have everyone go in and change this? I started looking at this info and I have a document with the author, last saved by, and user information all different. I changed the user info to my name and initials, the last saved by is the same, right? ( I tested this and think it is the same) BUT the summary tab of the doc. properties, still has the author listed as the generic technology id).

Sorry for the confusing question.....any advice would be appreciated......Biggest question - do we have to have all users go in and change their user information?

Thanks
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Info/Author (Word 2003)

Both the summary information and track changes will use the user name as set in the User Info tab of Tools | Options... So if nobody has taken the trouble to change the generic installation user name, that name will be listed as author and as the track changes user. If you want useful information, every user will have to edit the User Info in Tools | Options.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I am not a network tech so please excuse my sloppy wording.....but should this have been done somehow when the package for Office was distributed?? Should it be connected with the users login script in active directory??

Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The network admin could write a script to set the Word username equal to the login name, but that may not always be desirable. It might be better to put up a logon message or screen that all users should set their user info correctly (but then, I know from experience that a sizable percentage of employees will click away such a message without reading it...)