2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email forwarding -- 'From' field (2003)

I've got a rule on the Exchange Server at work that automatically forwards all emails received there to one of my personal email accounts. When these emails arrive in my Outlook inbox at home (my personal account, etc.), the "From" column in the Outlook email list shows *my* name, which is not surprising, since they were all forwarded from my email account at work. Of course, I can see the original sender by opening the email, where the Outlook has added the original From, To, etc. fields to the body of the email.

But it would be VERY helpful if there were a way to rig either my forwarding rule on the Exchange Server, or something in Outook at home, so that when these forwarded emails arrived in my inbox at home, the From field in the inbox at home still showed the ORIGINAL sender. Does anyone have any idea if this is possible, and if so how to do it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email forwarding -- 'From' field (2003)

I doubt that this can be done with rules, but the Exchange administrator should be able to set it up for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email forwarding -- 'From' field (2003)

I did a bunch more Googling and think I've solved the problem for myself. (Should have tried harder before bugging folks here.): It turns out that when I create my forwarding rule in Outlook, rather than selecting as an action "Forward to people or distribution list," I can select "Redirect to people or distribution list." This option only appears on machines that are connected to exchange servers. It turns out that "redirect" does what I want: It leaves a copy of the message in my work inbox (just like "forward" does), but I also end up with a copy of the same message -- with the original sender's name in the "From" field -- in my home email box (the one specified by "to people or distrubtion list").

The only problem I see is that there's no indication in the email that arrives at home that it was originally sent to my work address. It arrives at home looking like it was sent directly there. (I can go to VIEW - OPTIONS and examine the header, and *that* tells me, if I look carefully, that the email came via my work address, but nothing in the normally visible portion of the email shows this.) I can't imagine why this would be a problem, but I guess I'll discover why pretty soon.

Anyhow, thanks for thinking about this.