Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Max size of Properties Comments (Office 11)

I use the Comments field in a file's Properties to store information about the file. Although I only do this mostly with Excel files, I imagine the same issue would apply to any Office document - that is, is there a max size of info (eg, x chars) that can be stored in the Comments field?

TIA.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Max size of Properties Comments (Office 11)

This is the kind of thing you can easily find out for yourself by experimenting a little bit. It appears to be 32,767 characters (the largest positive 16-bit integer).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

You're right. I just didn't know how far I'd have to go and what would happen to the file if I went too far (eg, file corruption or worse). How did you determine this? I thought there might be some place where the limits of various aspects of a file are listed that would include this.

Turns out I could copy the "comments" text and paste into Word to get the count of characters. Turns out I only have about 2K characters right now. I could modify this in Word and paste back into the "comments" field.

Thanks.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I tested on a new document, so file corruption would not be a problem. I started by typing some characters, then repeated the following steps:
    - Select the entire comment text
    - Copy
    - Paste after the existing comment text
    This doubles the length each time, until pasting becomes impossible. It turned out 32,000 characters was OK, 64,000 wasn't. That strongly pointed to 32,767 = 2^15-1, and it was then easy to verify this limit.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, pasting 32,767 into the comments box and then trying to type one more results in not being able to add that one more.

Thanks.

Fred