2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ungrouping a Graphic

Hi everyone! I'm very familiar with many Graphic softwares and have used many times Group and Ungroup but when I import a graphic lets say in Corel Draw, if the option group and ungroup is in grey then it will not let me ungroup it. I worked previously in Corel Draw and exported it in .jpg so here is my question: is there something special or a trick I should know on how to ungroup when ungroup is grey or is it entirely impossible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ungrouping a Graphic

Do you mean you opened a .jpg file in Corel Draw? A .jpg file is just a compressed bitmap file, it contains no information whatsoever about drawing objects, so there is nothing to group or ungroup.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cuscus

As Hans mentions they are compressed bitmaps, there is nothing to group or ungroup. I use Fireworks a lot and save all my files in png format so that after I export to jpg or gif and i want to make changes to it afterwards I return to my native png file where they are stored as layers and seperate objects. However if I open my exported jpg or gif, it has been "processed" and the objects removed.
    Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you will find that the "Grouping" is valid ONLY in the original version. Once there is a export to a different format, it is lost, even if the new format supports grouping.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess what I was trying to say was that I grouped photos of my kids while in Corel Draw and thinking I was done with it I exported it to a folder as a .jpg. Then I realized I should change the color on one of the photos in the group and imported it back into Corel Draw but could not ungroup it to work at it. I know that if I would have saved it in .cdr (corel draw) that I would have been able to ungroup it but when you save in .cdr its a huge file that's why I exported it in .jpg I just thought I would try and explain myself better.

I guess what I hear from all of you is that its impossible to ungroup a .jpg

Thanks anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I guess what I hear from all of you is that its impossible to ungroup a .jpg

Yes, I'm afraid that is correct - all information about the individual objects in the original file have been lost when you saved as .jpg.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This also applies to most any of the other programs such as Elements and PaintShop Pro. Once you have left the native program to a converted file type, this will happen. And ALL of the native files are LARGE.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.