New Lounger
    Thanks

Program Sound Off (Troubleshoot)

XP Novice. After clean install of XP Home 2SP, I downloaded and installed Windows Media Player(WMP,) then Macromedia Flash Player, (MFP) MFP showed website video data but no audio. I played a CD with WMP to test speaker connections, volume etc, all OK. Thinking WMP was hogging the show I uninstalled it and replaced it with an older version of Musicmatch which worked well with Windows 98. I tried playing a CD with Musicmatch but got the message "Can't locate soundcard, perhaps it is being used by another program." Spybot and Ad-Aware showed no problems. AVG antivirus shows 'Reading Error" in 4 - 32. DLLs , Kernel; Wsock, User, and Shell, in Windows/System directory. Have you any solutions or suggestions where to look? Cheers, Old Salty

Thanks

Re: Program Sound Off (Troubleshoot)

Hi Old Salty,
    A welcome to the Lounge,
    Have you looked in Device Manager for any errors showing in any of the devices?

Start>Run>type in "devmgmt.msc" ( without the quotes )

Look for any devices that are "yellow flagged". which means not recognized or not working properly.

If you see any, right click on it and click Properties. Click on update drivers tab.

Reboot.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your speedy reply 'and how to find Device Mgr.' I wondered where they had stowed it.. Checked your suggestion. No yellow flags. I checked all sound drivers individually but no updates available at Microsoft. Musicmatch still finds the soundcard in use but there's no icons showing programs using sound card.
    Do you think it would hurt or help to run the XP install disk in repair mode? I've just downloaded an update for Musicmatch which I replaced the Microsoft player with so I'll try installing that now. Old Salty

Thanks

Old Salty,
    Reinstalling XP in the repair mode shouldn't hurt anything and might even help. Just run the second screen choice of repair mode, not the first screen; That will bring you into the repair console mode. ( not the one you want )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob, Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.. I pushed the install button and squirmed for 45 mins thinking I had chosen a full install, however all's well. It worked like a charm. Got the sound back, and everything is as fresh and sparkling, similar as I recall it was like, after steaming through a refreshing shower of rain washing off all the baked on salt spray. Good on ya! Old Salty

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You should visit Windows Update ASAP to get the latest security and other serious fixes.

Joe
    Joe