Lounger
    Thanks

Search text (Access 2000)

I have tried to use the suggestion for searching a text made in the thread 537634 but i got the error called " you entered an expression that has an invalid reference to the recordset property ".I am applying the attachement.Can you help me find a way of an easy searching where by writing one letter the names round it appear?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search text (Access 2000)

For a start the form does not have a recordset for which to reference a recordsetclone.

Just what is it you are trying to do?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The search code is meant to be used in a form bound to a table or query. It locates a record based on the text you enter in the text box.
    Your form is unbound, so there are no records to search for.

Lounger
    Thanks

Do you mean that in my case it is not possile to search through the list box? My problem only is that the list with the customer names is too long. If so then i should give up this application.What about the Find function ?

regards

canett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I wrote, the code you have can only be used to find a record in a bound form. It can NOT be used to find an item in a list box.

It is possible to write different code to find an item in a list box, but since your list box is multi-select, it is not clear what you want it to do. What if the user has already selected some items. What should happen when the user types in the text box? Should the selected items be deselected? Or do you want to keep the selection?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply.I want only to find more easily items in the list.After i have found the items,to stop there and change the color on this item. After that i do not need the selection any more. I can now double click on the selected item thus removing it out of the list, and deselect.Or i can give up the idea, start searching again which means i should deselect at this moment too.
    In two wrods, i do not need to keep the selecton after i have selected.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'd have to delve into the inner workings of the listbox code you got from the Access 2000 Developer's Handbook.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you.Your explanations have convinced me that using this application is not the best idea,at leat for myself

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Searching in a multi-select list box doesn't work well, anyway: the list box won't scroll to the selected item. It does work in a single-select list box. I have attached a small demo that uses a list box whose row source is a table.