Thread: Queries (97)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Queries (97)

Does anyone know how to put a variable name in the criteria section of a query in design view? I have the query working with static text in the criteria but I can't find what the syntax should be to place a variable in it's place.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Queries (97)

Enter your variable surrounded by brackets e.g. [Enter Name]. When the query is run, you will be prompted for the criteria. You can also use wild cards such as Like "*" [Enter Name] & "*"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Brian, What I have is this public variable "strRegion". It is being set by a control on a previous form. I want this value in the query I was talking about without having to re-enter data. Do you know if there is differnent syntax to park a variable inside a querys criteria box?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming the form is open entering something like: [forms]![yourformname]![strRegion] should work for you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If it is actually a property of the form, that is, a public variable declared in the form's declarations, you can refer to it as [forms]![yourformname].strRegion. I use this technique fairly often with both forms and reports.

However, if you have declared a global variable in a standard module, you can't refer to it in the query. Instead, you have to create a function to return the value of the global variable and the use that function in the query.
    Charlotte