New Lounger
    Thanks

Word2000 C:\Temp\Word8.0 (Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

I am using Windows98SE and Office 2000 with Word, Excel, PPt, OL Etc. and use auto update for Windows O/S frequently. Years ago, I had Office 97 loaded on this hard drive with Win95 and later upgraded to Win98 and then to Win98SE and also to Office 2K. Actually when I upgrade computers, I clone the old hard drive onto a new larger hard drive and load the new operating system upgrade on top of the clone of the old hard drive. I have two XP systems, but I like my Win98SE system the best. So this hard drive actually started out with various versions of the DOS operating system and if I remember correctly DOS 6.22 was the last DOS version before I started upgrading to Windows These facts may or may not be relevant.

Word 2000 is supposed to create, if the file does not already exist, C:WindowsTempWord9.0 MSForms.exd, when I create a new ActiveX control i.e. bookmark in Word 2000. Word 97 is supposed to create C:WindowsTempWord8.0MSForms.exd. The problem is my Word 2000 creates a folder name with 8.0 instead of 9.0. Why does it do that ? How do I fix it? Should I fix it?

Bookmarks are the only ActiveX controls I use in Word 2000, but I do use a few other ActiveX controls in Excel. I keep my temp folders cleaned out almost every day. I usualy have both a Word8.0 folder and an Excel8.0 folder both of which contain a file named MSForms.exd. I almost never use power point so I see no folders for power point. Both of these folders should be 9.0 not 8.0. But I seldom delete the MSForms.exd files. I do delete all other files when I clean out the temp folders, frequently.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base (MKB) linked here explains what temp folders are supposed to be created by MS Word and the purpose of the files named Forms.exd.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q158875/

The only practical problem I am experiencing is sometimes, but not always, Work2K crashes when I click on a book mark in a Word document. I use book marks at the top of word doc to take me to a book marks in one of the few hundred pages in a word document. I have had this problem for at least a year and have searched the web and MKS's extensively but found no joy.

Thanks in advance for any joy you can provide.

John Gregory

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word2000 C:\Temp\Word8.0 (Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

I have a PC with Windows XP and Office XP (2002) on which no older version of Windows or Office has ever been installed (I bought it new in 2003). The folders with .exd files are named Word8.0 and Excel8.0. so apparently (and in contradiction with the MSKB article) these names are still used.
    I don't think bookmarks have anything to do with ActiveX controls, so I doubt your problem with bookmarks is related to the .exd files.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word2000 C:\Temp\Word8.0 (Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

Hans V

I just verified that your statement was accurate when you said creating and/or using book marks in Word do not result in making temp folders and files such as C:WindowsTempWord8.0MSForms.exd. The test was as follows: First I deleted all subfolders of C:WindowsTemp including MSWord8.0. Next, I created and used several bookmarks in different word documents and no temp folders or files of any kind were created, just as you said. This is a very important fact which does help in my ongoing analysis of the problem.

It is also very helpful to know your system uses Word8.0 as temp folder names also instead of Word9.0, regardless of what the MKB says.

The above is what happens under normal conditions. However at some past time my computer was doing strange, non-normal things, which led me to draw incorrect conclusions, but the system is working fine and normal today. I distinctly remember I used to delete the MSForms.exd file to prevent crashes before clicking on any bookmark in Word and for at least a year I quit using bookmarks because of this "out of character" happening. I even found a MKB which "almost" explained one possible reason for this. It only explained a possible link between the MSForms.exd file and the registry and crashing which may or may not be relevant when the computer is acting abnormally.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;264743
    When the computer starts messing up again, I will pursue it further, but I hope it does not start messing up again.

Thanks for you reply to my post and also thanks for providing professional replies to the many posters I have seen you help on Woody's lounge. You provide a great service to the many posters who are looking for help.

John Gregory