Lounger
    Thanks

Network Card Problem new questions (XP Pro SP1)

I am asking this question again in a slightly different manner so I might be able to get some help.

My card, a DFE-530TX, was working now there is a problem. It is not the card itself as I tried another card and also tried them in another PCI slot.

In Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, the card is flagged as having a problem. If you uninstall it, then look for new hardware, windows will install it but ends with the error message saying "install unsuccessful as the card will not start" and gives an error code 10. Troubleshooting says it can't resolve the problem.

I looked at the Dlink site and it says the drivers for the DFE-530TX are built into windows XP. However, there are drivers available for a DFE-530TX+ which I tried with no luck.

I have also tried the original driver disk that came with the card.

The other card I tried in this computer is a DFE-530TX+ and I got the same results with it. So, I am convinced it is a windows problem.

Question 1: If it is a driver problem (the results from the DFE-530TX+ test seem to preclude this) and since the drivers are built into windows, how can I fix this?

Question 2: What services if set to Manual rather than Automatic, could cause this problem?

I looked in admin, services and I don't see anything disabled.

Question 3: Is there anything else that could cause this problem?

thanks

Allan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Card Problem new questions (XP Pro SP1)

Try this (I am not sure it will help, but it worth to try):

- Prepare your computer to start in the Safe Mode: Start | Run, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click BOT.INI tab and check SAFEBOOT option under Boot Options. Close Msconfig, choose Exit Without Restart and power off your computer.
    - Remove your NIC card from the computer.
    - Power on your computer. When it boots up to the Safe Mode, open MSCONFIG and uncheck Safeboot option (it will boot to the Safe Mode each time otherwise). Choose Exit Without Restart and open Device Manager (Start | Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and hit Enter). Open Network Adapters list and delete all NIC instances from it. Close Device Manager and power off your computer.
    - Insert your NIC card and power on your computer. Follow Find New Hardware wizard. When Configuration message appears, don't forget to check "Don't show this message again" option.

I hope it will help.

---Added later------
    Did you install recently any other piece of hardware (including wireless, FireWire, even USB-2, etc. adapters) which can interfere with your NIC card?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Card Problem new questions (XP Pro SP1

Hi,
    In your earlier thread I thought Bob's advice was sound. As for what I know, updating drivers would be a good try to do. But you have my sympathy if for instance the manufacturer points to Windows drivers, then there are no new to try.

But, just to compare, I know one case with no USB working (error 10 / not started), and in this case the BIOS was old so it needed an update, and then the USB was found and "started".

Now, I do not say that you need to update your BIOS; I just wonder: does anyone know about a setting in BIOS related to NIC's that can be changed? If so, maybe some setting has changed. One can maybe enable/disable different slots, integrated devices etc.

You can also try and look at the Device Manager as showed in <post:=475,091>post 475,091</post:>. This way you can show all devices, present or not. Sometimes there can be ghost devices left from unsuccessful install/uninstall, earlier installed now removed that may get in the way for future install.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Card Problem new questions (XP Pro SP1

kaplinb and Argus

Success!! I finally have my network card working again.

I did what you said. I found only one instance of a NIC which was for my card. When I tried to uninstall it, I got the message saying it could not be uninstalled as it was required for startup.

Anyway, When I reinserted the card and started windows normally, it found the card and installed the driver. The card now works and I can see my other computers.

Thank you

Allan