5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SyncToy Utility Reliable? (WinXP SP2)

I downloaded the Microsoft unsupported utility named SyncToy a good while ago and have been using it occasionally to keep a second copy of some folders up to date. In the last few days I've been using it to move various folders from my wife's old PC to her new one and keep the new one up to date until I am ready to replace the old one with the new one. One of the folders I've been copying this way is the folder that contains all her Outlook Express files. I've just noticed that, in spite of the fact that SyncToy says the new set of files is up to date, when I open Outlook Express on the two machines, the number of messages in some of the important folders is different between the two! The file dates are correct after running SyncToy but the file sizes are not exactly correct and obviously the file contents are not the same. I compacted all the mail folders on both machines and ran SyncToy again and it said it replaced all of them on the new machine but the message counts were still wrong on the new machine! Then I just deleted all the mail files on the new machine and ran SyncToy again and now the message counts match as they should and the file sizes match. Any idea why SyncToy doesn't do the file replace like it says it will? I'm using the Echo action type in SyncToy.

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: SyncToy Utility Reliable? (WinXP SP2)

Did you download the SyncToy v1.0 White Paper? Have you checked Professional photography with Windows XP? There are supposed to be support fourms there.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I have read the white paper but I'll read it again and see if I missed anything. I didn't know about the photograpy thing. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I use SyncToy for much the same reason as you, but not for Outloook Express files. I have found a couple of minor glitches (the last three files in the last directory of one folder pair seem not to want to be copied from one machine, and are flagged for deletion from the other machine), but on the whole it has proved reliable. Are you making sure the OE is closed on both machines before the (attempted) synchronisation?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Yes, I'm certain that Outlook Express is closed on both machines when I do the copy. I run Preview in SyncToy first and it lists the OE files as needing to be copied and the copy count summary after I've Run SyncToy includes those files. Copying OE files is not a critical thing because I can do it manually if need be for the final update of the new computer before shutting down the old one but that failure of SyncToy just makes me wonder if there are other files that are not being copied when I use it for everyday updating of the second copy of all my picture files. Based on the problem you are having I think I better check a little closer of the picture files.

Thanks,
    Bill