4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Real-time Diary Application (2000)

We have the following scenario:

Two offices connect via VPN to each other, which share a lotus smartsuite database. We currently have a manual appointment diary for showing people around houses on the half hour intervel. What we want to be able to do is to re-create the diary system in access (as the smartsuite is due to be transfered across later in the year). However we need it to be instant, so if someone takes an appointment slot, then it can not be available to anyone else. Monday - Friday at present there is one person and we make appointments for this isngle person. However shortly there will be two people monday - saturday.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Best Regards,

Luke

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Real-time Diary Application (2000)

I'd use Outlook/Exchange instead of Access. In Access, you'd have to start from scratch, while Outlook has extensive calendar (diary) facilities built-in.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I am not too familiar with Exchange to be honest. We use a separate mailserver program called Mailtraq, however the diary function is not ideal, as it uses a client program to synchornise the calendar and the smallest update period is 5 minutes, which is too long and we risk double booking, etc.

I will have to investigate further, any pointers?
    Best Regards,

Luke

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

About Exchange? Look on the Microsoft website, for example Microsoft Exchange Server: Home.