Thanks

Emulators and WinXP (XP-Sp-2)

If I'm (at all) understanding what I'm about to get into here:

With a VM, although it "looks" like you have a hard drive etc., it's actually ALL on what amounts to a RAM disk.

So, if I were to set up my VM with Turbotax to prepare my taxes, any "writing to disk" would not actually occur, so that then I would have to copy all the data from the "ram disk" to actual file copies on the hard drive, right?

PS. to all who have patiently put up with me so far: my extra memory (2 gigs) is ordered, as is my VM software...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emulators and WinXP (XP-Sp-2)

First of all, is this a continuation of <!post=this thread,546,768>this thread<!/post> from about a month ago? If so, you need to say what product you're planning to use. I don't want to be answering questions if you plan to use something other than the MS Virtual PC product that I do use. Last I heard you say, it was a bit too pricey for you. Besides which, I don't understand why in the world you would want to prepare your TAXES on a virtual machine! Looks like something that important should be done "normally" on your production computer. But that's your business...

The MS product creates the VM "hard drive" as a FILE on whatever local drive you specify - NOT a RAM drive. So, the settings, data and anything else you do on that VM are in fact saved, unless of course you tell it not to save when you exit the VM session.

Edited to add: Screenshot of my virtual machines, all saved "hard drives" on a dedicated partition of one of my local hard drives.

Thanks

Re: Emulators and WinXP (XP-Sp-2)

Al:

You are correct, this is, in ways, a continuation of the previous thread. I thought for clarity's sake I would begin anew. I apologize if incorrect in this premise.

>>
    you need to say what product you're planning to use
    <<

I've been looking at both MS Virtual PC and VMWare's VM Workstation. Both get great reviews. As far as the workings, that's what I'm trying to surmise.

>>
    The MS product creates the VM "hard drive" as a FILE on whatever local drive you specify
    <<

This makes perfect sense, much like a swap file or hiberfil.sys generated fro the XP Hibernation state.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"