Lounger
    Thanks

ban task panes? (XP)

Hi there,
    is it possible to completely stop ANY task pane in word from appearing? It is much more annoying then helpful.
    Regards,
    Martin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ban task panes? (XP)

No, you can't, but you can modify the menu commands that open a task pane to display the "old" dialog instead. See the replies to <post:=305,829>post 305,829</post:> and <post:=299,114>post 299,114</post:>.
    And you can install the Task Pane Controller add-in to determine whether the Task Pane appears when Word is started, and whether it stays after opening a document. See Controlling the Task Pane, even when add-ins are present.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ban task panes? (XP)

Too bad... But thanks for your quick reply.
    So my workaround will be moving the task pane (which I found out to be a member of the command bar family) away from its standard place at the right of the screen down to the bottom so that when it opens only its titlebar can be seen in that unused area of the statusbar. This works fine for me as I always open Word in maximized window mode.
    The other idea was to create an add-in to constantly check for the task panes' appearance and immediately hide it, but with that workaround at hand that seems a bit oversized.