New Lounger
    Thanks

When are dbx files updated? (WinXP SP2)

I'm using Outlook Express 6. This is the path to my dbx files:

Cocuments and SettingsOwnerLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{DBDF0A30-A21E-4289-915B-43D2F0227565}MicrosoftOutlook Express

I use DBXtract to view my dbx files. How often and when are these files updated? I find that there is a discrepancy between the files in the Deleted Items folder of OE and the files in Deleted Items.dbx, with the latter being outdated.

I like to save receipts that are sent to me by email. This I can't do until those dbx files are updated.

Thanks

Re: When are dbx files updated? (WinXP SP2)

Hello did,

Welcome to the Lounge.

It may depend on what version of DBxtract you have. I THINK the free version will only update manually on your input. The fee version 5.01 ( $5.00 US ) may do it automatically but not 100% on that.

What you may need is DBxpress which i think will update automatically.

You can check it out at DBXPRESS
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob... I don't think you understood exactly my question. If I delete an email message, the message goes into the Deleted Items folder of OE. Is the Deleted Items.dbx file automatically updated at that moment? Would this mean that if I successively delete a dozen emails, the Deleted Items.dbx file is updated a dozen times? Or is the Deleted Items.dbx file updated only on a daily basis, or on boot? I use the $5.00 version of DBXtract. I always extract manually from the dbx files. The problem I am having is that when I extract from the dbx files, the extracted messages don't match up with the deleted messages in the Deleted Items folder of OE. I just made a count. I have 89 messages in the Deleted Items folder of OE. If I extract the messages from the Deleted Items.dbx file, I get 29 messages. So my Deleted Items.dbx file needs to be updated by 60 messages! If the update is done automatically, then there is something wrong with my setup.

The only thing I see may have happened is that a few months ago I used SyncToy from PowerToys for WinXP to synchronize the dbx folders in my desktop and my laptop. The procedure was not a success. I may have done something to OE.

Edit:
    I'm still trying to understand what is going on here.

In OE Express, if I right-click on Deleted Items folder and choose Properties, I am told there are 89 messages in the folder.
    I then highlight these items, right-click on them and choose to copy to folder ItemsDeleted.

Why is it that when I right-click on ItemsDeleted folder and choose Properties, I am told there are 34 messages in the folder? What happened to the 55 other messages?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You'll more likely get a better answer at Discussions in microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general. This is the web based interface to the MS newsgroup for OE. If you'd rather use the OE newsreader to to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general at msnews.microsoft.com. There are many people who know OE very well that participate there. Most likely OE has some number of updates in memory and doesn't write to the database until necessary. BTW, anytime you query/extract a database when a program is active and has the ability to update the database you run a risk that your query/extract will be wrong.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think I am ready to answer my own question. Taking Deleted Items in OE, it is not all messages that can be converted to a Deleted Items.dbx file.

Furthermore, DBXtract cannot extract all messages from Deleted Items.dbx file.

Of 89 messages in my Deleted Items folder, only 34 could be converted to a Deleted Items.dbx file. Of these 34 messages, DBXtract could extract only 18 messages.

Taking one particular example, an invoice from Dell could be converted to a Deleted Item.dbx file. DBXtract could not extract this Dell invoice.

As to the question of when dbx files are updated, I believe they are updated as soon as the messages are sent to the Deleted Items folder in OE.