2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Web Page Preview (Pub 2002 - Office XP)

When I preview the new website created in Publisher 2002, the image is not centered - how can I center it in the preview - OR - will it be centered by default when I upload it onto my site?

Thanks.

P
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    The Hermitage at Harmony Hill
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Web Page Preview (Pub 2002 - Office XP)

As far as I know and read, You can not center the web site if it was made with Publisher.

Now with that said, I hope someone here will say that this is not so and tell us how it can be done!
    Michael

Thanks

The default width for a web page authored with Publisher is either 600 pixels or 760 pixels. This is to accommodate monitors with 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 resolution. When a user opens a 760 pixel wide page with an 800 X 600 monitor (maximized), the page looks fine. When such a page is opened with higher resolution screens, the content is aligned to the left of the screen. You can "centre" the page by customizing the page size (955 pixels wide to accommodate 1024 X 768 screens), but then users with 800 X 600 (or smaller) screens will probably have to scroll horizontally to see all of the content.

Unlike true web authoring software, all of the elements in a Publisher page are positioned absolutely (ie. nn pixels from the top left corner, etc.) and are a fixed size. They will not resize to fit a particular browser window. There is no way (that I know of) to tell Publisher that a particular element should be centred and sized at 50% of the page width. Publisher was designed as a layout tool for print publications, and in my opinion, does a pretty reasonable job. But for web publications, there are limitations (as with other Office components that offer web publishing) and there is a tremendous amount of MS specific code generated by these applications.

Bottom Line? For a simple one or two page site (with severe design limitations), Publisher will do the job. But for anything beyond that, a good web authoring package is a definite requirement.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Michael,

Sadly you are right . . . seems I will just use the site authoring tools offered by my new host rather than Publisher.

Peace - I appreciate your good copunsel.

P
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for the insight - wish I had known all this before spending time creating it in Publisher. I appreciate the understanding, and I also appreciate that you took the time again to help me slice this whole electronic thing into easy to munch bites. I suspect you help lots of folks, and that is really cool. Peace.

P
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is my first stab at doing this, but if you go here http://www.westerncallcenter.com , what you see is all made with Publisher. I used one of their templets and went from there, using what I liked and changing the rest.
    I had waaaay to many pic at first and it took about 2 days to load.... So cut them out and it does fairly well on speed.
    I am 'tweaking' it daily......

I agree, I see things on other sites and realize that to do such things will take more than Publisher.
    However, not wanting to take the time, (or not having the smarts....) I will stick with Pub... Maybe down the road I will try my hand at HTML and the like.
    If you make one in Pub. let me know, I like to see what others are doing with it...
    Michael

Thanks

Hi Michael,
    The site looks very polished. But, are you aware that while your navigation bar at the bottom of each page works fine in IE, none of the hyperlinks work with Firefox (at least they don't for me)?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John,
    That is one area (using other browsers ) that I have not played with yet. I know I have too as I progress in this.
    When I started with the publisher template I told it that I wanted both navigations bars, along the side and at the bottom, but the bottom one has given me fits....it will never up date after changes, across all pages, like the side one does. so I have to manually toy with the bottom one on every page. Hence I am not surprised that it does not work in Firefox.

I also, played around with google adsense, and I had a good laugh. My business is dealing with people ON probation and one of the ads came in wanting to train ones to BE a probation officer!

Anyway thanks again for your input, I will continue to play around with it. And maybe learn some code and do my own!!??!!
    Michael