5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot file size (Word 2003)

On one PC (and only one) where I have Word 2003 loaded, I noticed some sluggishness with Word. I had a look at Normal.dot and the file size was 22,000 K. There was very little in the template, other than a few macros which I have recorded over the last several weeks. In other words, there was nothing that would cause the template to be so large.

I deleted all copies of normal.dot on the PC (another user's Normal.dot was 8,800 K) and ran Norton Anti-Virus. Nothing was found. I also ran NAV on the problem template itself... nothing turned up.

I let Word create a new copy of normal.dot. Each time I shut down and restarted Word, normal.dot increase a bit in size: 74k, 118k, 162k, 206k.

If NAV isn't finding a virus, where else can I look, and/or what else might it be?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot file size (Word 2003)

What add-ins/global templates do you have loaded? Try getting rid of all add-ins and global templates and then testing again as you make each one available.

NAV itself has an unhappy history with Word because of its add-in. See <post#=467,753>post 467,753</post#> amongst others on this forum. Don't restrict yourself to this though as I don't think this add-in is neccessarily the source of your bulging Normal.dot.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Andrew's reply, I recommend turning on "Prompt to save Normal template" in the Save tab of Tools | Options...
    You'll be asked for permission when Word wants to save Normal.dot. Unless you have intentionally modified something stored in Normal.dot (for example, a macro or a toolbar customization), you should reply No.

Also see Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew. The culprit was the MS Word Redaction Tool Add-In. According to info from MS, the Redaction Tool is an integral component of Office System, and that description didn't make me think of it as an "add-in. " I uninstalled the Redaction Tool, but even that process did not remove it from the Tools menu list in Word. Despite the multi-step process involved in using the Redaction Tool, I found it useful from time to time. For the time being, I'll use my black magic marker.
    Richard