Thread: Memory Sticks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Memory Sticks

I've been using a 256 mg memory stick for backups and love them. I have to travel to Michigan next week and want to carry one on the plane. (in my pocket actually) Is this something that the TSA people will allow? I can't imagine that they might not know what it is. Will the memory stick be affected by the metal detectors? Maybe I should put it in my checked luggage? Thanks.
    Larry Edwards

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memory Sticks

Hi Larry - welcome to the Lounge!

Do you mean a USB flash drive? Something like these?

I've traveled with one of these recently in a carry-on and didn't have any problems - either with security, or with loss of data due to the x-rays.

I'm sure other Loungers can also share their thoughts and experiences on this...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Yup, mine are exactly like the one pictured.
    I guess I'll go ahead and take it with me. I had this terrible mental image of my luggage getting "lost" and my backups with sensitive financial information being spread around the internet! I would really rather have it on my pocket.
    Thanks for the info.
    btw your photo looks like the poker player Gus Hansen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that it probably depends upon a) the airline you are traveling with and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the airport(s) you are going through. My experiences with the TSA and what is permissible have been largely variable - in Cincinnati, I was allowed on the plane with ethernet cable crimpers and a chip puller in my laptop bag, but in Detroit's airport they pretty much took anything that Cincinnati had left behind. Aside from it being a frustrating experience - I mean, what am I going to do with crimpers, bludgeon someone? - my argument with the Detroit folks about lack of consistency fell on deaf ears.

If you're the least bit concerned, I would suggest putting anything you care about in non-carry-on luggage. Rather negates the convenience of the device if you plan to use it in-flight, but it also ensures that you don't wind up getting it confiscated.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have travelled through many many airports with one of these in my pocket. I always transfer it to a jacket pocket and send it through the X-Ray machine and have never been hassled about it.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

You know, I think you're probably right. I'm going to "hide" it in my luggage and hope for the best. I'm flying out of Orlando and last month they confiscated my tiny fold up scissors despite reading in the paper that it was ok to carry on. They seem to be quite tough there. I had those scissors for more than 25 years too. Thanks for the info.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's a huge difference between a USB drive and a pair of scissors. Every airport I have travelled through in the past few years has <big><big>big signs</big></big> listing things that may not be taken on board, and the list always includes scissors.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have been carrying a USB Thumb drive in my pocket since they first came out. When going through the security area at a airport, I have just thrown them into the basket that I throw my keys, coins, watch and etc in. The last time I had 4 of them in the container and not a question was asked.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Stuart,
    Just recently, the TSA has OKd small scissors and small screwdrivers ( less than 4" ) in carry on.
    Of course it DOES depend on the airport and if the screeners have gotten the latest word on what's OK or not
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't know that, I take it this applies to US airports only, since I have heard nothing similar in Europe.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went through the Baltimore airport and returned through Salt Lake City with my flash drive in my carry-on luggage about two weeks ago. No problem, either in respect to security or x-raying.

Thanks

Stuart,
    Just one of the many articles regarding the partial lifting of the ban on some items. Flight attendants and others are trying to get the ban reapplied.

TSA BAN
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!