4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding Empty Cells to Pivot Table (2000)

Each month I create a report in Excel to calutate the number of new cases opened in each of about two dozen referral types. For example, in January files were opened under six referral types. No files were opened in the other referral types. The table only shows data for the six but not the others that had nothing in the month of January. Is there a way I can setup the Pivot table to include the empty columns?

Here's an example of what I have now:

<table border=1><tr><td>
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding Empty Cells to Pivot Table (2000)

A pivot table can only display existing data, not non-existing data. You could add rows for each referral type without other data; that would add the "missing" columns but also a row "(blank)". You can then right-click on the "(blank)" and select Hide from the popup menu. Next, right-click on one of the referral types and select Field Settings from the popup menu. Tick the check box "Show items with no data", then click OK.

Alternatively, you can set up a table with all row and column headings you want, and use the SUMPRODUCT function to calculate the numbers.

See attached workbook.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding Empty Cells to Pivot Table (2000)

Right-clicking on the Referral Codes header and going to Field Settings to check the box "Show more items with no data" did the trick. I don't use this feature enough to stay familiar with it. Thank you SO much!
    Daisy