5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

variable copy behaviour (XL 2003 SP2)

The spreadsheet contains a range with four rows and 10 columns. When I highlight an individual cell in the first column, and hover the mouse over the lower-right corner of the cell, the little "plus-sign" cursor appears. Drag it over the full 10-column range, and the contents of the cell are copied verbatim. Repeat this with each of the cells in the first column.

Select all four rows of the first column. Hover the mouse again to get the Plus-sign cursor, and drag over the 10-column range. This time, two of the rows are copied verbatim while two of the rows are copied in incrementing series (30, 31, 32, 33, etc).

Do the same operation in another area of the spreadsheet, and the values are copied verbatim. Why does it affect just two of the rows in just part of the spreadsheet, and how do I turn off this inconsistent behaviour?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: variable copy behaviour (XL 2003 SP2)

I'd guess it's an attempt by Microsoft to be smart, but Without seeing the data, it's hard to say.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a cut-and-paste of the affected area.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange! It has to do with the formatting of the cells. By selecting various formats for the rows I was able to make more of fewer rows remain constant.
    To get around this, drag the fill handle with the right mouse button. When you release the mouse button, a popup menu with several choices will be displayed. If you want the same value in each column, select Copy Cells.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It has always been a mystery to me how the Excel code decides when to do a copy and when to do a Fill Series in cases like this (it usually choose wrong for me). Instead of left clicking and draging, right click and drag. When you release the right button you will get a pop up menu where you can choose either Copy or Fill Series.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too simple.... thanks

I've developed the habit of right-drag for Windows Explorer operations. Guess it's time to apply the same behaviour to Excel.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada