New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Font display size (2003)

I have just upgraded my computer and have a larger monitor (17"). The manufacturers recommendation for screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. This gives a much larger, and clearer, display, and is particularly useful when editing documents in Word. When using Outlook, however, I find that my font is too small to be read in comfort. I could change the default font size, but then my messages would be in a font too large for people with smaller screens or lower resolution. I could change my screen resolution, but then I would lose the advantages of greater screen area.

Does anyone know of a way to make the displayed text larger, without altering the size of the font actually sent in a message?

Do I just have to live with the small font if I want a larger displayed area?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Font display size (2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, holding down the Ctrl key while scolling the wheel will zoom in or out when a message is open.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much. I have experimented with that and it seems very helpful. Presumably there is no way to make the zoom level 'sticky' as a default magnification?

It doesn't seem to work when composing a new message - only on incoming messages. Is there any way round that?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of a way to do either using "native" Outlook. You might consider using Word as mail editor in Outlook; you can then set the zoom percentage in the Standard toolbar. Word usually remembers the zoom setting.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You can do something slightly less drastic than alter your screen resolution - but which will affect your Winodws-wise settings. Control Panel|Display|Appearance|Settings|Advanced|General |DPI Setting. From the sound of it, you would need something in the Custom range (between 96 & 120) - rather than jumping up all the way to Large (120). In most circumstances, you will get a full enough preview of your revised setting without having to go through the chore of re-booting. You will still keep your larger "screen real estate". HTH
    Gre