2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Internet exe. sessions hangs shutdown (XP)

My Wife is running into a situation during shutdown, where she gets multiple error messages stating that Internet.exe is needs to be shut down, during the Windows shutdown. This happens after being on the internet for a 1-2 hour period of time (using dial up). She gets a dial log box showing Internet.exe need to be shutdown, with the status bar showing the automatic shutdown progress. She also has the option to shutdown the Internet.exe session manually via an OK button. I have instructed her to open the Task.mgr and shutdown the sessions in there first, as it will save her a lot of time.

The interesting thing is that when she is on-line, she only has 1-2 internet explorer window open, but the Task Mgr. may show 10 or more Internet .exe session in progress, all that must be in a "hidden" state, execpet for the original 1-2 open I.E. windows. Today, when closing down, she manually selected "OK" to shutdown 32 Internet.exe sessions during her window shutdown process!

I am stumped on this one. We have check the PC with virus scan, ad-aware, spy bot, etc. I cannot find out where the I.E. replication is occuring. I strongly believe something is hijacking her PC, as we also notice transmit/receive activity, even when she leaves the PC sit for 10-20 minutes. Most of the transmit/received sessions involve 2-5 mb's of data being received or sent, even when she is not "doing anything" on the web.

I sure would appreciated any ideas on what may causing I.E. to break-out into multiple sessions. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Multiple Internet exe. sessions hangs shutdown (XP)

From links on this "internet.exe" - Google Search it appears that you are likely infected with a virus. See Tutorials & Links to Detection & Removal Tools for more help.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Internet exe. sessions hangs shutdown (XP)

Thanks. I downloaed the Hijack This application and reference manual. Now to go after the "nasties".....