Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Linking to web access database (2002)

Hi,

I've just created my first website using Frontpage. The database has 4 different forms for gathering information. The informations is saved to individual Access Databases that are saved on the website. I've yet to figure out how connect to that the website database from a database that the user will keep on their computer. I've spent the last two hours pouring through mannuals and they talk about all sorts of connectivity but I've yet to find anything related to linking the tables from a home PC or laptop to the website. Is this even possible and if so, can you point me in the right direction with regard to how to sart.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking to web access database (2002)

You could start with an ASP Tutorial, then continue with an ADO Tutorial. The first will teach you the basics of creating a web page handled on a server, the latter will teach you how to connect to a database.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans!!

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

As I've started reading the links you gave me, I'm getting the impression that I've done this backwards. It sounds as if the access database should be residing on the user's computer and the forms/pages on the internet actually enter the info to the database on the user's computer NOT to the database on the website. I'm soooooooooooooo confused. I can log onto the website and copy the tables down which is not a problem, but my goal is that the Access database on the user's computer will contect to the one on website via linked tables. Is this possible? If so, I'll keep reading till I find out how to do that. Maybe I just didn't get that far.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should have a PC that is running IIS (Internet Information Services). This is the "web server". The database and the web pages are stored on this PC too. ASP pages allow a user on another PC to interact with the database through the web pages.
    (This is a bit oversimplified, but it gives you a rough idea)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for baring with me on this. From what I read, it looks like IIS is for a server in not windows xp pro. Trying not to get discouraged here. I tried linking the tables via a ftp connection. It worked all the way up to seeing the .mdb files but when I click on it to have open to see the tables to link to, I get an error stating that it is the incorrect format. Is this due to not having IIS installed? I have to say I was amazed to even get that far. I feel as if I'm soooooooooo close and yet its eluding me.

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

IIS does come with Windows XP Pro, but it may not be installed by default.

FTP is a way of uploading or downloading a database (or other file), not a way to connect to a database. But this is not really a subject for the Access forum, it would be more suitable in the Web Design, Coding and Scripting forum.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, will head in those directions and talk to our It guy to see about getting IIS intalled.

Thanks!

Leesha

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a link to a utility that will create your ASP pages automatically for you. http://www.hkvstore.com/aspmaker/

I am using it to solve a similar problem and it has worked exceptionally well. It costs about $80 US but you have a month of free full trial. It generates the web pages automatically from your Access database. Depending on how complicated the database is, you then merely need to tweak relationships and some other details. When your project is complete, you upload it to your web server (which must be able to handle ASP)

If you download the demo, you also must remember to download the program itself. (I spent about an hour on that one!) They also give you all of the information about what you need on your computer (like IIS) and where to get it. I'm using Windows 98 and have been able to get stuff to work with little problem (and I know zero about Web pages). Just follow the directions carefully.

One final caveat, if you play with security on your own database and are working through the tutorial (which I highly recommend) keep in mind that in the demo database (from Northwind) they have added a field called "UserLevel" which they use to set a UserLevel. I spent a couple of hours thinking that the wizard was adding something in to the ASP code and not realizing it was accessing an existing field in the database.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the link and all the time saving info! It also helps to know that you are new to this and that this helped. I'm a very visual person and need to "see it in my head". So that leads me to this next question..............the web pages are going to be "in" the access database that is stored on line in the webpage? Does the user then access those pages from the website itself from a page that I would build as an administrator page and password protect?? I think my biggest issue (I'm being nieve I know) is that I can visualize how the sequence works.

Thanks!

Leesha

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The database gets stored on the server in a separate folder. The ASP pages link to the database in essentially the same way a Frontend Access database would link to a Backend. That way, you can choose what information people have access to. That is, if they don't see that field on the ASP page, they can't have access to it in the table, in the same way that if you don't include a field on an entry form, they can't change it.

Spend some time with the Help files which are very complete and well-written but not voluminous. Work through the tutorials as well. Your familiarity with Access will go a long way to helping with this program which essentially builds and interactive database of all the elements of your tables (and queries). When you have set up the parameters that you want, you generate the ASP pages, like a wizard does. Your end user will go to them as web pages just like going to internet banking. They only see the information they have permission to see (for individuals, usually their own records).

One of the things you can do is play around with it on your own computer with a proxy server named localhost. You can see the results by browsing to localhost through your web browser. The trick with creating the pages you want will be in how complicated your table structure is. If it is a straight forward structure, the rest shouldn't be too difficult. There is also a good Woody-like user forum at the same website.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

LOL! I think my knowledge of Access is hindering me as I "see it" in Access and how Access works. I can't wait to get home tonight and start playing with this software. One more question................... The user needs to be able run queries on the data stored in the database to get their mailing lists etc., not actually see the data in the tables. I'm "assuming" I'll be able to give them this ability?

Leesha

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

They won't see anything you don't want them to. You can also set permissions to View, Add, Edit, Delete, etc as you wish. You can do this at the table/query leve as well as at the field level. There are also search parameters that can be set.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ah!!! now its getting clearer..............................the access database is actually going to be running on the website server and the user will download the reports from the server itself. I'm I correct????

Leesha

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now you've got it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast