Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Templates - but not through File/New (Word 2003)

I have a directory tree structure for templates that is several levels deep, therefore I cannot use File/New to access the templates because of its restrictions on the number of levels. Also, the users want to see the tree structure. I thought of a macro that would use File/Open and go to the root directory of the templates, but there is the possibility of the template being directly opened and edited if it is not flagged read only (I don't have control over what is put in the directory). I also thought of a macro that would launch Windows Explorer and go directly to the root of the templates, because I know that if you double-click there the template is run, not opened.

I can't create a menu system because they want something that requires little (preferably no) maintenance on my part.

Can anyone help me with the code to launch Windows Explorer to go directly to, for example, c:templates? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks...

Adri

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Templates - but not through File/New (Word 2003)

If this is as simple as showing the Windows Explorer window then try
    Shell "explorer c:templates", 1

I would recommend you explore some other threads such as this thread for other ideas.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Templates - but not through File/New (Word 2003)

Thanks Andrew...I've looked at the other thread and there are some things there I may be able to use, and I will search some more. Also, the 'shell explorer' might work for what I need, if I can get it to close the explorer window after they've double-clicked a template. Is there code for that?

Adrienne

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Templates - but not through File/New (W

The shelling of the Windows Explorer is a one-off and the macro runs to completion without waiting for you to close the window. If you need that kind of behaviour then I would look at the example where the Word's built-in dialogs are hijacked to allow the user to select a file and then the macro does something else with the file.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia