5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to partition hard disk

I would like to partition the hard drive into two drives C and D , C being the primary.
    Can someone tell how l go about doing this?
    Do l need a boot disk with the fdisk command on it?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to partition hard disk

The Lounge has a search function which turns up several results. Have you looked? There are a lot of threads on this subject already.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The answer to your question depends on the purpose of the partitioning. Do you have operating system installed already or you want to make clean install? Which operating system are you using or planning to use? Do you have enough room on your hard drive?

You need a bootable DOS floppy disk with FDISK command if you (i) planning to make clean installation of DOS-based operating system (Windows 95, 98, ME) AND (ii) you have enough room on your hard drive to do so (your hard drive is larger than 0.5 GB). Remember: all data on your hard drive will be lost after using FDISK !

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like to make a clean install. I am planning to use XP.
    I am fully aware that all of the data on the hard drive will be lost.
    I would like to split the C drive into 2 partitions and store my personal data on D.
    60 40 split. 60% primary C. 40% secondary D.
    Can you tell what l would have to do in order to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

During the Windows installation, chose to create a new partition of the correct size for your new drive C:

After finishing the installation use Disk Management to create a D: drive with the rest of the space.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not to sure what you mean?
    I assume l create one partition C then one D?
    Can you explain in a bit more details or maybe show me a screenshot?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry if that was a bit too short!

It's hard to show a screenshot of an installation. During the Windows XP installation you are prompted for which partition to use for the new install. You will be given the option to delete existing partitions and then to create a new one of whatever size you want. You can find a lot more helpful information about how to do this in <!mskb=313348>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 313348<!/mskb>.

After Windows has been installed you can run the disk management utility. One way to do this is to right click on My Computer and choose Manage, then pick Disk Management in the left hand window. In this utility you can right click on the unused space on your disk and choose "New logical drive". You will find lots of information about Disk Management in <!mskb=309000>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 309000<!/mskb>.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that information, it is much appeciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart is quick! Here I was writing, but I see he has covered the essential with good links also. Windows XP Pro or Home, anyhow no big difference in this aspect, there is a good writing with screenshots at the elder:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm
    Many other places also, but it is quite simple to do.

The only thing I would like to add from my experience:
    Let's say I would like a C, D, E and F partition on a hard drive. Now, I once did the way Stuart mention, which is great and many others also recommend. I created a system partition and left the rest unallocated. I installed to my newly created partition and went into XP, once installed, to use Disk Management to create the other partitions from unallocated space. Now I found that my CD-drive was labelled "D" and I, before install, wanted the optic drives to be last, starting with G. Creating other partitions with Disk Management was and is easy. So is also re-labelling drives, so I got C, D, E, and F as I wanted, and G, F optic drives. Great.

But, since the CD drive was used during install, and during install there was only my system partition and unallocated space, the label "D" was used for CD-drive and now found in numerous places in the registry (install source). So even if I re-labelled the CD-drive G, after the creation of other partitions in Disk Management, there now was references to a D drive in the registry.

The way I later installed XP was by creating all partitions in Setup program, thus I get my CD drive automatically last.

I don't know if I did something wrong that time, but that was my eXPerience.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats great thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that this can be a problem.

I move my CD and DVD drives to other drive letters as soon as I have installed Windows, and I then have to edit the registry to fix the Windows Install Path.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You have to create ALL partitions during setup, otherwise you need to use DISKMGMT.MSC utility to re-arrange drive letters.