Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

More On Trend Micro

This <!post=recent thread,548,477>recent thread<!/post> is already lengthy and I just have a small observation, so I'll make a new post. February is my Trend Micro update month and I did the deed yesterday, installing Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. Whew, what a mouthful! The only thing I want to mention in case someone can use the advance tip, is that unlike last year (2005) the installer doesn't explicitly offer a choice to use ONLY the antivirus component of the software. Well, it may, but the wording is a bit cryptic! When the installer commences, a two-choice screen appears, offering the standard install (full package) OR a "custom" install. The text says that the custom install is for users who want to use their own FIREWALL software. Well, I chose that selection and now have the 2006 version installed, whatever it is. Now I've got to go through a bunch of settings screens (attachment) to see what I've gotten myself into! There are 5 or 6 selections behind each of those buttons in the attachment. Whew, again!

PS I am still using the free Zone Alarm as my firewall.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: More On Trend Micro

I was afraid PC-cillin would have the same "problem" of firewall control in the 2006 version. The trial of 2005 was confusing on this point and I definitely did not like it. I confess to being a control freak, but even so the UI is a bit cluttered. Now that I've used Avast... I'm hooked.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to followup on my post, I've been through all those UI buttons and it ain't as bad as it looks. The screens DO show that I've chosen not to use their firewall, spam filters, webmail scans and on and on. But everything checks out to my satisfaction. The most important stuff is set to my liking, i.e. real time scanning, incoming and outgoing email scanning and such. I didn't have to change much of anything. One "default" difference from the last two years is that the automatic pattern file updates are set for 3 hours instead of the previous 6 and were set to "silent" whereas in the past I had the small popup screen to advise me. Well, I've let it go on silent and it's keeping me up to date (yesterday and today) without me having to OK the popup window. I think I remember that Jefferson said he lets it do it's thing silently and that looks like a good plan.

Bottom line is that I'm still OK with Trend Micro. BTW, I still have it set to scan my C: drive every night at 11:30 PM and it is doing so.

Thanks

I'm a little late to this thread, but I ran out of time to make a leisurely decision and also bought into PCcillin 2006. Since the Firewall was giving me trouble I also decided to go with something new and I chose Kerio - that's my thread right below this one on that subject. Don't get me wrong - I think Kerio is doing a fine job for the most part - it is certainly keeping me clean.
    I keep forgetting to change my AV updates to silent, though - until it disrupts whatever it is I'm doing at the moment, and then I'm too busy to make the change. And then I forget to do it later. Ah, well - the gray hair is my excuse. But like you, Al, I liked the Trend Micro AV but not the Firewall. Too bad they're inseparable...but I think we know why.
    Have a cookie -

Don